Monday, September 24, 2012

Compliment Generously...Medicine for the Soul

I am learning that the words we speak to others carry a tremendous weight. I believe they can at times, be so powerful that they can encourage others to move on or even persuade them to give up. Everyday we come in contact with people, whether it's people we have long term relationships with or someone we may see for a total of a second or two. The past few months I have been trying to become consciously aware of the positive thoughts that I have of people, and I have been trying to roll them off of my tongue without being to bold or even awkward about it. Sincerity is definitely a must and I want to be the kind of person who fills an-others soul, leaving them feeling positive and encouraged.

Today, something wonderful happened to me and I'd like to share the story, though it starts back in July.

One normal work day at church in July, I was admiring an older woman in the church who came in to set up for a quilting event the next day. I've always admired this woman. I covet her wisdom and to learn of her life's experiences and lessons. I've always wanted to sit down with her and listen to her share how God's been faithful to her through out her life, though finding the time has yet to happen. I believe there is such an extravagant beauty about the older Godly woman, especially those who take the time to love on us younger women. As I was thinking these thoughts, I decided that I wanted her to know that I thought she was beautiful. I didn't however, want her to know that it was me who was saying it. I found a 3x5 card in the kitchen drawer and I wrote on it. I wrote...Do you know how beautiful you are? I waited until she went into the quilting supply room and I quietly laid it on top of the quilt she was working on. I went about the rest of my work, watching her work by herself, singing and humming sweetly to herself.

Later that afternoon, as I finished my work in the upper part of the church, I passed by the quilt as I made my way down toward my office. I noticed the note was no longer there and wondered if she had indeed received it or if it got lost in the shuffle of things. I wasn't interested in bringing any attention to myself, but found that I needed to ask her if she got the note that was on top of the quilt because I wanted to make sure that she knew that someone thought she was beautiful. She replied that she had and asked if it was from me. I said, "Yes it was. I just wanted you to know." She replied with a simple "Thank you" and we parted ways. I had no idea what she thought, but I knew in my spirit that I was full of joy.

Several weeks later, I was again cleaning at church at the same time there was a funeral taking place. Sadly, it was a brother to this same woman. I ran into her in the hallway and we greeted each other with a hug. She told me that she wanted me to know that she was working on a note to me and that I should be watching for it in the future. Today while I was cleaning (which again was a few weeks later), I thought of that note and wondered if I had missed it, or if it got misplaced somewhere, as I work out of many, many places in the church. I don't think it was even 10 minutes later and this dear woman walks right into the church kitchen (I didn't even know she was there before that) and said to me, " I did not have time to get your note written, but do you know how beautiful you are?" I was stunned but replied" Awww, thank you." and gave her a hug. She said" No, really. Do you?" She went on to say, " I wanted to tell you that the day you gave me that note was a rough day for me." Her eyes began to well with tears. "It was exactly 7 years that day that our son passed away and that note meant a lot to me." Ohhh, what does one say to that? I didn't even know what to say. I told her I was so sorry and told her how much I admired her, and how my favorite days of work are the ones when she comes in and spends time there. How I wished I could just stop what I was doing and share in her activities. She told me I should not be sorry, but that she was very blessed by my note.

As I finished up my work that day, I was in awe at how timely those 7 words I wrote on a 3x5 card were and how they touched someone's life. I had absolutely no idea what that day held for her when I wrote those words. If you are admiring someone, or thinking something positive about someone that would encourage them in their day, even if it's little, I encourage you to share it with them. It just might be medicine for their soul. I know it will be medicine for yours ;)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Theresa



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment