What exactly is a blessing? Webster defines it as: Something promoting or contributing to happiness, well-being, or prosperity. With that in mind, I'll share my story =)
On my way home from work, I desperately needed to stop at the grocery store. We were out of some essentials and I had no time the rest of the week to make the shopping trip happen. Earlier in the day, I had promised our oldest daughter that I would go to the gym with her when I got home. We had everything timed out so that we could go, be back, she could shower and be off to work on time. Having made those plans, this now made my schedule very tight.
As I entered a new grocery store that was unfamiliar to me in some ways, I found myself engaged in where everything was placed. Would I find everything I needed today and would I get out of there on time? So, I plugged myself into mission mode, and off I went. I made it the entire way through the store and was scanning the last aisle which was wide and somewhat overwhelming. I was still on schedule...all was going fine!
As I was trying to wrap up the last of my shopping, I moved my cart to the far left of the aisle, realizing that someone was coming straight toward me. My first thought was, "Oh my word, that person is going to run right into me!" Very quickly a second thought, "Well, I did kind of move my cart RIGHT in front of them." Sadly, through all of this, I NEVER looked up. I never looked beyond my own cart, and never removed my eyes from what I needed to look at in that aisle. I did not realize it at the time, but I was totally engrossed in myself, my own world, disconnected from what was going on around me. I was functioning, but my actions showed that I was still very much disengaged to the world around me.
Much to my surprise, the shopper with the cart in front of me did in fact run into me! On purpose! I never even noticed that the person 3 feet in front of me was actually one of my friends. By my watch, I did not have time to stop and chat, though I chose to anyway. As I walked away from my friend, I walked right back into the world of disassociation. When I got to the register, of course I would choose the new check out clerk who was learning the system and was extremely slow. So, no talking from me because I didn't want this to take any longer than it had to. By this time, I was now in major hustle mode. Though a trip to the gym may seem insignificant to those around me, there were more important reasons I needed to go to the gym with my daughter other than getting in my work out. So my mind was geared to move, move, move and only think about what was happening in my little world. When I returned home about 1/2 hour off of the schedule my daughter and I had originally planned, she said, "Guess what? I don't have to go to work now!" Hmmmmm.
As I took time to reflect on this, only then did it have it's impact on me. How many other blessings have I missed because I never took the time to look up? How many others have missed out on a blessing because I have never taken the time to look around? Many I'm sure. Could I have been an encouragement to the new cashier by extending a few kind words? I could have. How many times have I been so disconnected from everything that I've forgotten that God can work out all things? Today I realized I have missed many opportunities.
The lesson I have taken from this is if I would take the time to look around me and not be so disconnected and in a hurry, I would not miss the many blessings God has for me. With seeing my friend I was blessed, but I realize now how easily I could have missed it. I also realized that I can not be a blessing to any around me if I am self centered and I don't make an effort to open my mouth or lay aside my selfishness to change that. There are people all around us who need a blessing or a special touch. Random acts of kindness can bless others...a smile or small compliment could be all the encouragement that person needs in their journey today!
To me blessing others is a giving some kind of gift, whether large or small, tangible or intangible to someone else, but it is I who truly receives the gift...the gift of joy when I've touched an others life in a positive way.
It's time I re-connect.
Just like the seasons - change is one of the greatest blessings in life – allowing us to become what God would have us to be.
Friday, January 20, 2012
Don't Miss the Blessing
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A Blessing is many things, one of which is a daughter !! As you should all ready know.. You all ready have 3 of them. Love!
ReplyDeleteA blessing is a daughter !!!
ReplyDelete